Thursday, January 5, 2012

Learning Scala is screwing up my head

After learning Groovy, I decided to learn Scala. I'm in my 2nd week of learning it and its screwing up my head. I think its has more to do with the programming paradigm that Scala is in. Scala is a multi-paradigm programming language designed to integrate features of object-oriented programming and functional programming. 

Scala 2.9.1 in Netbeans
So to get started, I download and install Scala and got Netbeans to work with in. Scala in Netbeans is pretty sweet. You can follow all the Scala tutorials using the interactive shell and then try your hands on writing Scala scripts. 

The object-oriented part is cake but the functional programming part that what's screwing up my head. All this reminds me of what I had to go through learning object oriented programming coming from a procedural programming language. I'm expecting to go half-mad, a nervous breakdown and then suddenly just get it. 

This is going to be wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment