Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Going dark

I'm a freelance web developer and web administrator. I am able to do this because the Internet is free and open. But redneck, technology ignorant American congressmen and senators are sponsoring a pair of bills that will kill that freedom and openness. All in the name of stopping online piracy.

These bills (SOPA and PIPA) are moving through the American political system and even though I'm not American and I have an interest in this. So in about 4 hours (from this post) I'm going to shutdown all the sites that I'm currently the administrator for 12 hours in protest. Just like what reddit.com and wikipedia.org will be doing in protest.

You can read up here on how these two bills are written and will affect the whole Internet if passed and signed into law.

I'm going dark because if SOPA and/or PIPA pass, it wouldn't matter much because my sites will be going dark PERMANENTLY.

If you are a citizen of the Internets, show your support here.


No comments:

Post a Comment